Your ski school instructor – and we highly recommend a few professional lessons – will have a wealth of expertise and experience to help you learn the basics of skiing. But here’s a few starter tips from our ski team:
• Keep your weight forward and your knees bent.
• Keep your tips up when dismounting a chairlift. And prepare to join the Neilson team in a few embarrassing dismount stories, everyone has them!
• Practise shifting your weight to engage the edges of your skis with the snow. Using your inner edges in snowplough position will help you brake and controlling your edges is a vital skill as you progress onto intermediate ski technique.
• Watch your speed. Keep things slow and controlled as you master your technique.
• Remember our favourite imagery we use when teaching kids the snowplough position – turn your skis into a pizza slice shape. From this position you can ski forwards, turn and stop – everything you need to get going on the slopes.