Types of snowboard
There are a few types of snowboard out there, each designed to suit a specific environment or style of riding:
• All-mountain: as the name suggests, these are versatile all-rounders that suit most types of terrain. Ideal for beginner and intermediate riders who want to have fun trying out everything from pistes to pipes.
• Freestyle: these lightweight, flexible boards are made for playing. A great choice if you love hitting the parks to practice your tricks and spins.
• Freeride or alpine: if your idea of snowboarding heaven is carving up the slopes at top speed, you’ll love the stable, narrow design of these directional boards.
• Big Mountain or powder: for off-piste adventures, a stiff powder board will help you cut through deep snow. They’re not made for the piste and can be hard to handle if you’re new to the sport.
• Women-specific: you’ll find a growing number of boards designed specifically to suit women. Particularly important if you are petite or have small feet.