These workouts are tough, but here are some things that can help:
• Make sure you’ve warmed up really well - 10 minutes is a good start.
• We don’t recommend doing more than two/three Tabata workouts in a week – your body needs time to rest and recover in between sessions. Mix it up with lower intensity exercise like swimming instead.
• Remember your technique. It can be easy to forget about performing exercises correctly when the burn is kicking in, but keeping your form is the best way to avoid injury and the most effective way to get results.
• Check out some of the great Tabata apps to help you squeeze in some mini Tabata workouts at home – the seconds app does all the timing for you and it’s free.
• Don’t compare yourself to others – we’re all guilty of doing this, especially when trying out a new sport or class, but Tabata is all about competing with yourself and monitoring your own personal progress.
• Remember, if you’ve worked yourself hard and are struggling to complete sets, don’t be disheartened - you’re doing it right. Tabata is all about pushing yourself to the absolute limit.
• If you have any health concerns or injuries, this might not be the time to try Tabata. Check with a medical professional if you’re not sure.
You can join our very own Tabata classes led by experienced instructors in all of our Neilson Beachclubs. They’re a great way to kick-start your activity-packed day.
We also offer standard HIIT sessions and a variety of fitness classes including cardio, Zumba, sports-specific conditioning, yoga and Pilates.
Why not come along and join the, admittedly rather sweaty, fun?