Getting the right equipment
As far as UK cycling law goes, the only equipment that’s an absolute must when road cycling is:
• White front and red rear lights that must be lit between sunset and sunrise.
• A clean red rear reflector and amber pedal reflectors (wearing reflective ankle bands at night is a good alternative if you use clipless pedals).
• Efficient front and rear braking systems.
All other Highway Code guidance regarding equipment is just that: guidance. But while there’s no legal obligation to comply, a lot of it makes good safety sense. For example:
• Wear a well-fitting helmet (although this looks set to become mandatory).
• Wear comfortable clothes that won’t get tangled in the chain.
• Wear reflective clothing at night.
• Check your bike is safe to go before you ride. We’re talking tyre pressure, brakes, bolts, chain and controls.
• Consider fitting your bike with a bell.