Skip to main content
Back to help

Foreign travel advice

Brexit advice

Whether you've already booked your holiday or you're thinking about planning your next getaway you'll probably be wondering what affect Brexit may have. We've rounded up any questions you may have about your holiday after Brexit.

There have been some reassurances around flights and country entry requirements from ABTA. Please see their latest advice about travelling to Europe here.

I've booked a holiday for this year; will it still go ahead?

Yes, ABTA advises regardless of the Brexit outcome, planes will still fly between the UK and the EU as there will be a transition period, this means nothing changes until 31 December 2020. So, you can rest assured that your Neilson holiday will go ahead as planned and we will continue to offer you a fantastic holiday.

I have a booking with Neilson, will the cost of my holiday increase?

We can reassure you that the price you have paid for your Neilson holiday will remain unchanged.

What happens if I book to travel after 31st January 2020?

Customers who book a package holiday with us can relax knowing that they’ve got the most comprehensive protection as a consumer. If you book a package, your holiday will be protected under the ATOL holiday protection scheme, meaning you’ll have the right to a full refund if your holiday can no longer be provided.

Am I still able to use my current passport to travel to the EU?

You should check your passport expiry date; the UK government recommends that you have six months left on your passport on the date of your arrival into an EU country. If your passport has less than six months, you may wish to renew your passport sooner rather than later, in order to make sure you have it in time for your holiday. Please see the website tool the UK Government has published to check the validity of your passport.

Will I need a visa to travel to the EU?

British passport holders will not need a visa to travel to the EU. The European Commission announced in April 2019 that, even in a no-deal scenario, UK citizens can still travel to the EU without a visa. ABTA is also providing advice to travellers about visiting the EU after Brexit, with the latest information available at:

Will my European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) still be valid after Brexit?

UK registered EHICs will no longer be valid in the event of a no-deal Brexit. ABTA recommends that travellers take out comprehensive travel insurance ahead of any trip, no matter where they are travelling to.

Essential travel information

Here at Neilson, we aim to make sure that we give you the very best activity holiday we can. At the same time, we take the safety and security of our guests and staff very seriously.


We are proud of our safety record, which is, in no small part, due to the practices and processes that we and our independent auditors use to evaluate and monitor the various elements of your holiday, that are directly under our control.


The assessment of external risks, including the threat of terrorism, is more difficult and more subjective and in these areas, we rely on the UK government's Foreign and Commonwealth Office (FCO) for their official ‘Travel Advice’ to the areas in which we operate.


We recommend that you check this advice before you book and monitor it before you travel, to ensure you are fully aware of the advice being offered to travellers.


For the latest travel advice from the Foreign & Commonwealth Office including security and local laws, plus passport and visa information, go to the FCO website.


We regularly monitor the FCO website and if at any point they were to advise against travel to a particular country or area within a country where we operate, you would, of course, be able to cancel your holiday. We will always do our best to find you a suitable alternative but if we can’t do so, we will refund your monies in full.